Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My opinion: totally wrong


This morning I had to go out to run some errands. I didn't really feel to go in the big city so I decided to go at the grocery store that is situated in Beaumont. It's called a city but the population is around 10,000 people, big difference compare to Edmonton. It's a really nice friendly place. I lived there for 9 years. It's a place that anywhere you go you will always see somebody you know. That's the good part of it!


So yeah I went to the grocery store. I was pushing my cart and picking up what I had on my list. I turned the corner to go to the other aisle and there it was. The person just in front of me was covered completely from head to toe.


I tried to make eye contact but I didn't know if she was looking at me or not. I knew right away that it was a woman and that she was wearing a burka. I couldn't see her eyes cause' they were under that mesh. I was in shock!


In Edmonton you see a lot of woman wearing the hijab. In 20 years living in Alberta I saw only couple of woman wearing the niqab. But for me to meet face to face with a burka woman I didn't know what to do, or was I suppose to say something like "Hi". I was feeling very incomfortable.


Right away I started to feel sorry for her. Can you imagine wearing that outfit that nobody can't see you; they can't see the color of your hair and your eyes. And for her to always look with that mesh always in front of your eyes, for me it's absolutely wrong.


Muslims always say it has to do with their religion. I don't know, I'm not too sure about that. Me I'm thinking that it's certainly not the woman's choice to wear this tent with a screen. They are forced by their husbands and their family.


That's why since couple of years a lot of countries ban the wearing of the burka in public. In Canada we recognize the equality of men and women. I think the burka marginalizes women and it has absolutely no place in Canada.


In Turkey, it is illegal to wear a burka. In France & Belgium they are working on it right now to ban the wearing of burka in public place. And there will be more and more countries that will ban the burka because it's totally unfair for these women. It's living in a prison 365 days a year with absolutely no freedom of choice.


I hope that Canada will do something about it, that them too will ban these outfits. It is just common sense!!



No comments:

Post a Comment